Healthy Banana Oat WafflesJump to recipe
This is a regular weekend breakfast at our house, everyone loves it. It's a healthy waffles recipe that packs plenty of nutrition.
The bananas provide potassium, fibre, vitamin B6 and vitamin C. The oats provide stacks of health benefits due to fibre content, beta glucans, antioxidants, manganese, phosphorus, magnesium, copper, iron, zinc, and B vitamins. The eggs are a great source of complete protein. Chia seeds which provide fibre, protein, zinc, B vitamins and an array of minerals. Cinnamon is a great source of antioxidants, is anti-inflammatory, regulates blood sugar, is antidiabetic due to its regulation of insulin resistance, and it also has antimicrobial properties.
It's a super easy recipe, just throw the ingredients in a blender and then spoon or pour the mix into a hot waffle maker (I usually oil the waffle maker with either a neutral olive oil or coconut oil. Vegetable and seed oils are dodgy for many reasons and I recommend avoiding them like the plague, I'll cover this in another post).
"Chia seeds provide fibre, protein, zinc, B vitamins and an array of minerals."
Healthy Banana Oat Waffles
By Kim Jansen
Prep: 5 mins
Cook: 2 mins
Yields: 3.5 waffles
These healthy waffles are packed with nutrition to keep you feeling full and give you a great start to the day.
- 2 cups of oats*
- 3 eggs
- 2 large bananas
- 40g chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Splash of vanilla essence
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 10ml virgin coconut oil
- *You can also substitute the traditional oats for gluten free oats if need be
- Preheat waffle machine until the light indicates that it's ready.
- Mix all ingredients in a blender or food processor.
- Use a pastry brush to oil surfaces of waffle machine with virgin coconut oil. Alternatively, use a light olive oil spray.
- Spoon mix into waffle machine to make a flat waffle that is evenly distributed across the heat plate.
- Close waffle machine and wait a minute or 2 before checking inside.
- Flip the machine over half way through cooking if your machine allows, if not it's no big deal.
- Cook until waffle is golden brown.
- Top with your choice of toppings, I love a bit of Greek yogurt, some fresh fruit and some grated or desiccated coconut.
Yield: 3.5 waffles
Fat: 14.5 grams
Carbohydrates: 58.3 grams
Protein: 15.2 grams